Mom and Dad, too
Big City Moms loves a holiday! We’ve complied some of our favorite activities for you and your family to enjoy in the city this Fourth of July weekend. We’re sure you’ll find a spectacular display of fun whatever your plans may be.
- See the iconic Macy’s Fourth of July fireworks. The best viewing spots are south of 42nd street along the pier by the Circle Line, Pier 54 and Pier 84. The viewing is also spectacular on the Jersey side of the Hudson between Hoboken and Weehauken
- Step away from the screens and have a family game night, says Deb Geiges Berry of FamilyAdventureMom.com. Berry suggests Twister for the younger kids and using Hershey’s Kisses as game markers for classic board games.
- Chalk it up to smart parenting. Take a box of huge colorful sidewalk chalk and use the pavement as a humongous blackboard. Have your kids practice spelling out words as big as they can. Older kids can do some basic math too.
- Add some culture to the weekend and catch Shakespeare's Measure for Measure in Central Park. Performances take place Thursday through Sunday, June 3 - 27 at 7:00 pm.. Tickets may be hard to get but you can enter a virtual lottery every day online to try and win tickets.
- BBQ City-style. You may not be able to fire up your grill but you can still enjoy the fun of a cook-out. Pick up a to-go order from a neighborhood barbeque place---don’t forget the coleslaw, corn and napkins! And have your own backyard party in the great outdoors.
- CMOM is open all weekend long (including on the 4th) with special Independence Day themed activities like creating sparkly fireworks collages. Older kids can make their own square expressing what Independence means to them to be part of CMOM’s American Dream Quilt
- Think you eat too much over holiday weekends? Try checking out the famous Nathan’s hot dog eating contest July 4th on Coney Island at noon.
- Check out the giant Sol Lewitt sculptures in and around City Hall, 27 in all Kids will love them for the size and shape (Mom! These look like my LEGO towers!)
- Visit the New York Hall of Science in Queens for their amazing exhibit “Circus! Science Under The Big Top” and get the skinny on how all the amazing big top feats are done.
- See family favorite the Berenstain Bears live at the Manhattan Movement and Arts Center.
- Water Fight! Have fun the old school way. Get some small balloons, a couple of Nerf Super Soakers and head for the park