Check List for Proper Installation
- Read the manuals for the car seat and vehicle. Pay close attention to warnings, expiration dates and registration procedures.
- Watch car seat manufacturer installation videos on their website. Always use a reputable source to get more information on installations.
- Make sure the car seat can be installed with the LATCH system and seat belt individually. Many car seats have weight limitations on the LATCH system and you will need to install with the seat belt eventually.
- Place seat belt or LATCH strap through the proper belt path. There is only one for infant car seats and two for convertible car seats. Convertibles have a rear-facing and a forward-facing belt path. Forward-facing Combination seats have a forward-facing belt path only.
- Be sure seat belt is in locked mode if using vehicle belt. The seat belt will most likely lock at the retractor or at the latch plate.
- Pull LATCH or seat belt webbing tight.
- Check for tight fit at the belt path, only. Car seat should move less than one inch in either direction.
General Safety Tips
- Choose a car seat that fits your child and vehicle correctly. Choose a seat you will use correctly every ride.
- #LookforBaby may sound silly, but we are all living more distracted lives these days. Too many children are unintentionally being left in hot cars. It can happen to anyone. Keep your purse or phone on the floor in the back seat. When you reach your destination you are more likely to remember to get those items which will help you keep an eye on baby before you lock the door.
- Check the car seat installation before every ride. Just give it a tug at the belt path to be sure it is still secured to the seat belt or with the lower anchors.
- Don’t transition children too soon. Keep them rear-facing as long as possible. Keep them in a 5 point harness and do not skip booster stage for older children. Some children do not fit in the adult seat belt until age 12.
- Set a good example for your kids and make sure all passengers are properly buckled so they stay safe as well.
- Register the car seat so you can be notified in case or any recalls.
- Do not use the car seat if it has been in a severe crash or following the instruction manual guidelines.
- Do not buy a used car seat unless you know the history, how it was stored and if has not expired.
- Follow the instruction manual for proper washing instructions. Never soak harness straps or use abrasive cleaners on any part of the car seat.
Just My Color radian® rXT series – $349.99: We’ve married the two things that make us great! Our wonderful tried and tested rXT series seat with a beautifully tailored set of new seat cuts, trimmed and detailed in dynamic colors and customized detailing. Whether you’re on a winning weekend away, enjoying a cheering ride, or staying local and keeping it real – don’t be boring, be “Just My Color”.
Stow ‘N Go – $10.99: Our Stow ‘n Go seatback organizer does it all with seven full-sized pockets and two drink holders in a washable, waterproof fabric. The top fastens around any headrest while the bottom fastens around the seat for a secure fit. Folds for easy storage in seat back pocket when not in use.
Sun Stoppers– $9.99: Whether front or rear facing, the solar mesh panels protect from direct sun and reflected glare, keeping little travelers cooler and more comfortable. Easy to install and remove, Sun Stoppers conveniently fold flat to store in the back-seat pocket. We’ve thought of everything so you don’t have to.